Whether you want to top salads with these delicious, crunchy chickpeas for some added plant-based protein, or use them as a protein source in bowls (such as a grain and veggie bowl), crispy chickpeas can be used in so many ways. You can even use them for a mid-day snack. Though the possibilities are endless, I personally like to make a meal out of them and pair them with some cooked veggies and a side starch (such as sweet potato).
Here is a quick and easy recipe for Crispy Spiced Chickpeas:
- 1, 14.5 ounce can chickpeas. You can also just use cooked chickpeas that you cooked yourself vs. canned.
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar. I’ve also used apple cider vinegar and this worked great.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt. You don’t need to measure; just eye ball it. You just want enough sea salt for flavor. Use less or more depending on your taste preferences.
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Same thing here: you don’t need to measure, just use enough to coat the chickpeas. See directions below.
- 1/4 tsp cumin. A little cumin goes a LONG way! Adjust to your taste preferences. I’ve found 1/8-1/4 tsp work well.
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional). Omit this if you don’t like a little spice!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Toss chickpeas with vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and spices. Mix well. Adjust spices (more or less) to your taste preferences. A little goes a log way; start out with less.
- Lay chickpeas on baking pan with parchment paper. Be sure to spread evenly and to not overcrowd.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 1 hour in oven, making sure to toss occasionally. The chickpeas are done when they’re nice and crispy. Be sure to check on them since I personally find that it often takes <1 hour to cook.