Try this fresh, satisfying summer salad. To learn more about the fabulous health benefits of kale, cabbage, and other vegetables in the Crucifer family, see the Diet module of the Anticancer Lifestyle Program.
Ingredients for salad:
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped or pulsed in food processor
- ½ a medium red cabbage, finely chopped or pulsed in food processor
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced or segments
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced and quick pickle*
- 2 summer squash sliced and roasted or sautéed
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts or seeds (optional)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)1 can of beans of choice (garbanzo beans work great!)
Ingredients for dressing:
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Handful of basil or 1 tsp of dried basil (optional)
- Place salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place dressing ingredients in a Mason jar or blender. Shake vigorously or blend until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad (you may not need all of it).
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- ½ tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
Combine all ingredients in a jar with tight-fitting lid, shake to dissolve honey and salt, let sit for at least 30 minutes. Will hold in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Flavoring options to add: clove, garlic, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, fresh herbs, chili