Nothing welcomes fall more than a warm and delicious soup. Lentils are nutritious and are great for fiber and protein intake–and also make for a hearty meal. With just a few basic ingredients, this Lentil Soup recipe can be made both quickly and easily.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (or red onion for more color!)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cups dried red lentils
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the ginger, turmeric, rosemary, garlic, lentils and sweet potatoes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the broth. Season with salt. Bring to a boil and the reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until lentils are soft and sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Stir in the spinach and cook 5-10 minutes.
4. Serve warm.
• Top with a dollop of plain organic Greek yogurt with herb drizzle (if dairy-free omit the yogurt and just simply top with herb drizzle!)
• Can be served with a whole grain such as quinoa or brown rice.