Mushroom and Spinach Nachos
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil (avocado, grapeseed)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup pinto beans, drained and rinsed (if using canned look for BPA free. Best to get beans in glass or a pouch)
- Large bag tortilla chips
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese (optional) or you can use vegan cheese sauce*
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- Top with chopped green onions, tomatoes and avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a little high heat oil and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the spinach, cover and lower the heat to low to allow the spinach to wilt. Once spinach is wilted, remove from heat.
- Place the chips on a large rimmed baking sheet and evenly spread the vegetable mixture over the chips.
- Top with beans, cheese or vegan cheese sauce and the jalapeno.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until everything is bubbly and golden.
- Top with green onions, tomatoes and avocado, if desired, and serve immediately.
*Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Boil potatoes and carrots for about 20 minutes until very soft.
Drain and add them to a blender with all remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.